Texas Paint & Wallpaper History
In 1947, R. N. “Dick” Bruton entered into a partnership with W. J. Hancock of Fort Worth to open two paint stores in Dallas. The stores were originally located on Ross Avenue and in the Oak Cliff area under the name of “Texas Paint & Wallpaper Co.” After 30 years of successful business, the Ross Avenue store was moved to its present location of 4410 Ross Ave. in 1977.
In 1949, Mr. Dan Kemp went to work as the shipping clerk for the Ross Avenue location. He was promoted to sales clerk in 1951, and in 1952 became the outside salesman for Texas Paint & Wallpaper Co.
In 1953, Mr. Bruton and Mr. Hancock decided to open a paint manufacturing plant which they named “Dal-Worth Paint Manufacturing Company.” The plant’s original location was located on Elam Drive just off Buckner Boulevard in the Pleasant Grove area of Dallas.
Texas Paint & Wallpaper Co. continued to grow by adding a Pleasant Grove location in 1957, and a Casa Linda location in 1959. At this time Mr. Kemp was made a manager at the Pleasant Grove store.
In 1965, Benjamin Moore & Company purchased the Dal-Worth Paint Manufacturing Company and two of the four Texas Paint & Wallpaper Co. locations from its owner’s. This allowed Dan and Mildred Kemp to purchase the Ross Avenue and Oak Cliff locations keeping the name “Texas Paint & Wallpaper Co.” Mr. Kemp opened new store locations at Preston Valley in 1968, Pleasant Grove in 1970 and Dal-Rich in 1977. Mr. Kemp later closed the Oak Cliff and Dal-Rich locations.
Mr. Alan Cook started with the company in 1973 doing deliveries for the Pleasant Grove store. He was transferred to the Ross store where he worked at the sales counter and tinted paint. In 1977, he was made manager of the Dal-Rich store before returning to Ross in 1979. It was at this time that his wife, Kathy (Kemp) Cook came to work for the company at the Ross location doing payroll.
Dan and Mildred Kemp remained the owner’s of Texas Paint & Wallpaper Co. until August of 1992, when the company was acquired by Alan and Kathy Cook.
Since the acquisition, Alan and Kathy added a Lake Highlands store in 1994, a Rockwall store in 1998, which was later closed, and an Arlington store in 2001, which was later moved to its current location in South Arlington. The Rockwall store marked the first time Texas Paint & Wallpaper opened a location outside the Dallas area. In 2003, they opened Texas Paint & Coatings in Forney, in an attempt to focus on OEM accounts rather than just retail sales.
In 2004, Danna Cook was promoted to CEO for Texas Paint and Wallpaper Co. after coming to work for the company in 2003. This marks a third generation of family leadership in the company’s history.
At this time, Kathy Kemp Hardy is presently the sole owner and president of Texas Paint and Wallpaper Co. We are currently planning development of new store locations in the Dallas Metroplex.
We are excited about the opportunity to provide North Texas with the kind of professional service that Texas Paint has provided – Since 1947!